Downloads  |  Buy

License activation failure (date/time are wrong) [Solved]

License activation failure (date/time are wrong) [Solved]

Postby velumurugan » December 8th, 2010, 8:00 am

I got the following message when activation

"Failed to activate because your system date and time settings are incorrect.Fix your date and time settings, restart your computer, and try to activate again"

I tried lot of times but failed even after gave correct date and time settings.

is any registry problem how to alter for that machine..

but in dashboard the system information is stored as activated.

unable to find a solution and client needed urgent..

thank you
velumurugan

Re: License activation failure

Postby Sam » December 8th, 2010, 10:34 am

The error message tells you exactly what's wrong and how to fix it. I'm not sure how I can make it more clear. Perhaps if I put it in a list:

[list=1:3lllcq52]
[*:3lllcq52]Fix the date & time settings. Make sure the Month, Year, Day, Hour, and Minute are all correct.[/*:m:3lllcq52]
[*:3lllcq52]Restart your computer.[/*:m:3lllcq52]
[*:3lllcq52]Try to activate again.[/*:m:3lllcq52][/list:o:3lllcq52]

If you follow these steps exactly then you'll be able to activate. If you skip a step it will fail.

Rule of thumb: don't screw around with your date & time settings. TurboActivate is protected against naive altering of date / time settings.
Sam

Re: License activation failure (date and time are incorrect)

Postby velumurugan » December 10th, 2010, 1:34 am

After I had set the Month, Year, Day, Hour, and Minute , restarted computer but in vain

similar error message occurs

date and time settings changed only for the testing purpose because after installing the application in client pc
the endusers will tried to do it. They may change date time format for their own purpose.
We cannot control end users but the management will think that application not working .

so we need permanent solution to reactivate the license key in that particular machine.

"don't screw around with your date & time settings"
velumurugan

Postby Sam » December 10th, 2010, 4:03 am

[quote:2k5l590u]After I had set the Month, Year, Day, Hour, and Minute , restarted computer but in vain[/quote:2k5l590u]

Make sure you follow this in order (don't skip a step):

[list=1:2k5l590u]
[*:2k5l590u] Fix your date and time settings. Then use the Windows Internet time to update the time right now. This will connect the computer to a server which will make sure your computer time is actually set correctly (it will throw an error if you didn't set the date/time correctly).[/*:m:2k5l590u]
[*:2k5l590u]Restart your computer. [b:2k5l590u]Don't skip this step.[/b:2k5l590u][/*:m:2k5l590u]
[*:2k5l590u]Activate successfully.[/*:m:2k5l590u][/list:o:2k5l590u]

[quote:2k5l590u]date and time settings changed only for the testing purpose because after installing the application in client pc
the endusers will tried to do it.[/quote:2k5l590u]

Exactly, and this is the behavior we are preventing. Adjusting date and time settings is a way to circumvent licensing restrictions. This is why we forbid it. This is a feature that helps protect your software. Very, very, very few people run into problems with this. The few that do run into this problem are either: (a) trying to cheat the company or (b) a developer trying to replicate unrealistic end-user conditions.

[quote:2k5l590u]so we need permanent solution to reactivate the license key in that particular machine.[/quote:2k5l590u]

The permanent solution is to fix the date & time. Once the date & time are correct then everything will work fine.
Sam

Postby velumurugan » December 11th, 2010, 4:43 am

I had followed as per your instructions

"1.Fix your date and time settings. Then use the Windows Internet time to update the time right now. This will connect the computer to a server which will make sure your computer time is actually set correctly (it will throw an error if you didn't set the date/time correctly)."

when i fixed date and time and used windows internet i got exception as you said.
then after one hour iIt started synchronized successfully.

then i restarted the computer i activated by giving re type your product key in turboactivation form.

same message received.

sorry for trouble you again. i do not know what was happended to that particular machine only.
tried manual activation method or re entering another product key from limelm dashboard nothing changes.

but in our dashboard the machine information is listed.

how to resolve this problem in a critical situation?
did the machine was blocked or black listed ?
i had also tried by uninstall the licensed vb.net application and reinstalled it.

I will take this as better experience for our product implementations at other client machines.
velumurugan

Postby Sam » December 11th, 2010, 5:12 am

[quote:gt5nltgj]when i fixed date and time and used windows internet i got exception as you said.[/quote:gt5nltgj]

This error happens because your date and time are soooo far off from the actual date and time that Windows can't correctly synchronize. My guess is that your month, year or day is incorrect. Fix them.

[quote:gt5nltgj]sorry for trouble you again. i do not know what was happended to that particular machine only.[/quote:gt5nltgj]

My guess is that you still haven't correctly set the date (or time). Look closely at the Year, Month, and day. Fix them so they match the actual date (December 11, 2010) and actual time. Then click the Windows internet synchronize button. If it shows an error this means the date and time are still wrong. Go back and fix them, then try to synchronize again.

Once the Windows Internet Date/Time synchronize works successfully, restart your computer.

After all that is done you will be able to activate successfully.

[quote:gt5nltgj]did the machine was blocked or black listed ?[/quote:gt5nltgj]

No. The date and time settings are incorrect.
Sam

Postby Velumurugan » December 15th, 2010, 6:50 am

Thank you sam

The date time settings problem during activation was fixed by updating Windows Internet time .

It synchronized successfully after hour after hour for 3 days.

Then one more doubt
if the end user changed date only means,after setting correct date and restarting then activation will work or not?
Any change in date we have to update Windows Internet time or any other methods available to resolve this?

data entry end user do not have enough knowledge to update Windows Internet time , then the developer have to update in client machine .
Velumurugan

Postby Sam » December 15th, 2010, 7:06 am

[quote:3ewpczpf]if the end user changed date only means,after setting correct date and restarting then activation will work or not?[/quote:3ewpczpf]

If the date and time settings are correct activation works correctly.

[quote:3ewpczpf]Any change in date we have to update Windows Internet time or any other methods available to resolve this?[/quote:3ewpczpf]

No, I told you to use Windows Internet time to demonstrate a point. That point being that your date was incorrect. You could have fixed it manually.

[quote:3ewpczpf]data entry end user do not have enough knowledge to update Windows Internet time , then the developer have to update in client machine [/quote:3ewpczpf]

Data entry users won't be messing with the date & time settings in the first place. That is, the activation will work perfectly because their date and time settings will be correct. The only people who mess with the date and time settings fall into 1 of 2 categories:

[list=1:3ewpczpf]
[*:3ewpczpf]Developers testing unrealistic end-user conditions.[/*:m:3ewpczpf]
[*:3ewpczpf]Scammers/crooks/theives looking to extend trials indefinitely or workaround protection methods.[/*:m:3ewpczpf][/list:o:3ewpczpf]

In case #1, the developers will know how to fix the date and time. In case #2, why care?
Sam

Postby Velumurugan » December 17th, 2010, 3:56 am

ok fine

could you be bear me for asking more doubts.
In our vb.net license application i used the activation screen in login form.
Login screen contains user Authentication.
If changing the date without close the previous opened vb.net application developed with lime license .
we can access all modules.

whether i have to call
Me.isActivated = TurboActivate.IsActivated in all forms or only in login form?

if mandatory to use in all forms what are the events to be used?

could you be guide on this situation.
Velumurugan

Postby Sam » December 17th, 2010, 4:58 am

This is an interesting case. I take it you're using a date/time [url=http://wyday.com/limelm/help/license-features/:3hgo6vbz]custom feature value[/url:3hgo6vbz] to limit a component, correct?

When you read in a value using TurboActivate.GetFeatureValue("your feature name"), it's just a string. I'm guessing you're converting it to a Date/Time object and comparing it with the current date/time. If you want to prevent date rollbacks (or other fraudulent modifying of the date) then you'll have to code it yourself.

For instance, you could ping a server and get the current date/time and compare it to the computer's date/time.

Does this help?
Sam

Next

Return to LimeLM, TurboActivate, & TurboFloat Support