bright, fresh software
Downloads  |  Buy

VB6.0 and TurboActivate.dll

VB6.0 and TurboActivate.dll

Postby stevej » March 8th, 2012, 10:42 pm

I'm trying to add TurboActivate.dll reference to my VB6.0 code and I'm getting a "Can't add a reference to the specified file" error.

Any ideas?
Sorry I'm a newby to LimeLM!
stevej

Re: VB6.0 and TurboActivate.dll

Postby Wyatt » March 9th, 2012, 6:39 am

TurboActivate.dll is not an ActiveX dll, it's a C dll. This means you don't add it in the "normal" way. You instead include it in the same folder as your output *.exe file, and you use the function definitions we have in the example VB6 app.

Tell me if this helps.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby stevej » March 13th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I've added "TurboActivate.dll" to your TurboActivate\API\VB6 sample app and it works fine as a complied EXE but i can't run it in stepped debug mode.

Cheers
Steve
stevej

Postby Wyatt » March 13th, 2012, 11:48 pm

What error are you getting?
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Run-time error '49'
Bad DLL calling convertion

stops in Form_Load at Select Case taIsActivated(StrPtr(taGUID))

Postby Wyatt » March 14th, 2012, 7:05 pm

Ah.. that's because TurboActivate uses the CDECL calling convention and VB6 doesn't support this calling convention. We don't officially support VB6 (because the language is so ancient) which is why we don't have an article showing how to use TA with VB6.

That being said, you have a few options:

1. Switch to VB.NET.
  2. Switch to RealBasic.
  3. Use a VB6 class that works around this CDECL problem to call the TurboActivate function. See: http://planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=49776&lngWId=1. I've also attached the example code to this forum post just in case that link ends up dead.

Call_CDECL_From_VB6.zip
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
This code has not been tested by anyone here at wyDay. Use at your own discretion.

Tell me if this helps.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby stevej » April 9th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions but I'm suck with VB6.

You've said you don't support VB6 yet there is an example in the TurboActivate.zip file VB6 directory.

Cheers
Steve
stevej

Postby Wyatt » April 10th, 2012, 1:18 am

You've said you don't support VB6 yet there is an example in the TurboActivate.zip file VB6 directory.

That was a quick and dirty example we threw together for a customer that ended up upgrading to VB.NET.

An alternative to the "Call_CDECL_From_VB6.zip" example is to create a simple C or C++ dll that has a STDCALL interface that calls TurboActivate functions.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby jansonsuoop » May 12th, 2013, 3:01 pm

hi

i want to activate a product.... how to do it... I have TurboActivation.dat and TurboActivation.dll from the program directory. How can i create a key for this Application. Its a 30 Day limitation software. It ask Activation code.Please help me activate the software
jansonsuoop

Postby Wyatt » May 12th, 2013, 11:32 pm

We've created a STDCALL version of TurboActivate (meaning it can be used in VB6 and other ancient unflexible languages). Read the VBA tutorial for how to use it. If you have any specific questions we'll be glad to help.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Return to LimeLM, TurboActivate, & TurboFloat Support