Downloads  |  Buy

TurboFloat Server on VMs (don't do it) [Solved]

TurboFloat Server on VMs (don't do it) [Solved]

Postby richardd » October 15th, 2019, 8:01 am

I'm seeing a definite trend in new users needing to install TurboFloat on virtual servers (would be the same for my office too - we got a new main file server this year and it's virtualised). So far I've been happy to enable this on request, but wondered exactly what the security implications are? Could customers easily run cloned license servers and connect clients to both at the same time?

Is there anything that can be done, or is it an inevitable consequence of the way the fingerprinting works?

[as an aside, I tried searching for similar topics, but the filtering and sorting options didn't seem to work so I got lost in too many other results!]
richardd

Re: TurboFloat on VMs

Postby Wyatt » October 15th, 2019, 1:12 pm

>> " So far I've been happy to enable this on request, but wondered exactly what the security implications are?"

Never ever enable VM activations for TFS keys. The TurboFloat library can run on VMs or real machines. The TFS should *always* run on real machines.

Security implications are here: https://wyday.com/limelm/help/vm-hypervisor-licensing/

Short answer: if you enable VM activations the customer gets infinite licenses. Don't do it.

We're going to make the warnings more explicit very shortly.

>> "Could customers easily run cloned license servers and connect clients to both at the same time?"

Yes. Described at length in the article.

For end-users that need to use VMs (and complain loudly about installing the TFS on real hardware) we're releasing TFS instances hosted on our infrastructure soon.

>> "[as an aside, I tried searching for similar topics, but the filtering and sorting options didn't seem to work so I got lost in too many other results!]"

Yeah, the forum software we currently use is a dumpster fire. We're replacing it soonish.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby richardd » October 15th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Sounds like there's a solution coming, which is great. Our software is low-volume, (relatively) high value, so refunding the customers who only found out after purchasing that they couldn't use it would really hurt our bottom line. I've run into quite a few now who simply don't have any physical servers, so it's not just them "complaining loudly" to be awkward...

As an aside, does TFS have an equivalent of the re-checking and grace periods that are in TurboActivate? i.e. can I "turn off" those TFS already running in VMs after the hosted TFS goes live?
richardd

Postby Wyatt » October 15th, 2019, 3:41 pm

>> "As an aside, does TFS have an equivalent of the re-checking and grace periods that are in TurboActivate? i.e. can I "turn off" those TFS already running in VMs after the hosted TFS goes live?"

Yes: https://wyday.com/limelm/help/turbofloat-server/#config-isgenuine

Revoke the key and/or disallow VM activations on the key. Or both.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Return to LimeLM, TurboActivate, & TurboFloat Support