Downloads  |  Buy

Problems getting signed a Mac OS App

Problems getting signed a Mac OS App

Postby Mick » September 23rd, 2019, 6:55 am

I prepared an App for Mac OS and tried to codesign it with the codesign command. As long as I do not provide TurboActivate.dat and libTurboActivate.dylib it works fine. But when I copy those both files into the App package the codesign command gives me back

./XXXX.app: code object is not signed at all
In subcomponent: /Prog/XXXX/XXXX.app/Contents/MacOS/TurboActivate.dat

(same for the dylib)
Do I have to codesign each of those separately? Is LimeLM still working with this? Are there any instructions about that issue? Anyone out there who had a similar problem?

Lots of questions, thanks for your support in advance!
Mick

Re: Problems getting signed a Mac OS App

Postby Wyatt » September 23rd, 2019, 11:31 am

Make sure you're using the latest TurboActivate and a the latest XCode and codesign apps.

We've had a number of customers who have had no problem signing their macOS apps with the latest version.

Some things of note: libTurboActivate.dylib is unsigned by us. Why? Because Apple no longer supports EV certs for signing binaries. Everything has to go through Apple. Which is fine and dandy, but we don't have time time to jump through a bunch of new unnecessary hoops. Not yet at least. Eventually.

Secondly, the TurboActivate.dat file is a resource file. It should not be modified. If the code signing utility you're using is complaining about it then move it to an internal directory where it will not complain about it. Or embed it directly in your app and load it from memory at runtime.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby Mick » September 24th, 2019, 3:41 am

Thanks. I understand. I signed my libTurboActivate.dylib with my own certificate. If I only include this one and then sign my app its working. Problem still exists with TurboActivate.dat. If I put it into /Contents/MacOS it gives me back "code object is not signed at all".

Anyone else out there with a known solution except putting it into the EXE?

Thanks a lot!
Mick

Postby Mick » September 26th, 2019, 7:42 am

OK, here is what I did now for the public:

* Moved my TurboActivate.dat into another directory
* Adapted my App to pick it from the new location
* Codesigned the App itself
* Codesigned the TurboActivate.dylib
* Created my package without TurboActivate.dat

Works fine now. Thanks again!
Mick