bright, fresh software
Downloads  |  Buy

Activation not working for a customer... [Solved]

Re: Activation not working for a customer...

Postby Flasher » August 3rd, 2011, 2:06 pm

ta.UseTrial() is called if false in onIsActivated, in onDeactivate, and onExtendTrial.
Flasher

Postby Wyatt » August 3rd, 2011, 10:58 pm

I'll look into this -- it should work fine. Have you tried both online & offline trial extensions? Do both fail?
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby Flasher » August 4th, 2011, 8:16 am

I get the same error when trying to do an offline trial extension.

Do I need to rebuild the program with an updated TurboActivate.dat? Because I don't know how it would know there is a new offline extension available, being offline with no access to the server.
Flasher

Postby Wyatt » August 4th, 2011, 9:17 am

The "ExtendTrial()" function takes in a string like "FEGX-VBVD-6DSH-67BE-TFHI-EFAJ-9SXT". So you call:

So, in Adobe AIR, this might look like:

Code: Select all
ta.ExtendTrial(txtTrialExt.text);

Where "txtTrialExt" is a textbox where the user entered their trial extension (e.g. "FEGX-VBVD-6DSH-67BE-TFHI-EFAJ-9SXT").

Does this make sense?
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby Flasher » August 4th, 2011, 9:38 pm

I have found a mistake I made where ExtendTrial() was not reading the right string to it. After fixing it, the extension worked for my customer and he is relieved.

Now just awaiting TurboActivate 3.0 for a permanent fix, thanks.

[i]As for the question about the offline trial extension. I was curious, when you create an offline extension on the site, how does the program on the customers desktop know said extension exists, since it would presumably be offline and can't communicate with the server?[/i]
Flasher

Postby Wyatt » August 4th, 2011, 11:35 pm

As for the question about the offline trial extension. I was curious, when you create an offline extension on the site, how does the program on the customers desktop know said extension exists, since it would presumably be offline and can't communicate with the server?

You have to send the offline trial extension to the user somehow (email, morse code, smoke signal, etc.). Then, on the client side, the trial extension details are encrypted in that long text block.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby C » October 15th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Well, I tried making a build with the updated TurboActivate that was supposed to fix the issue and it still continues to be broken and the customer is pissed.

Can I just make a trial extension with and absured value like 1,000,000 days? I don't want to be accused of cheating the system to effectively get an uncounted activation, but there needs to be a timely, permanent solution for this customer who has been wait for a fix forever.
C

Postby Wyatt » October 15th, 2011, 9:46 pm

We've fixed all known problems with activation in TA 3.0 -- it sounds like the customer is running into something different. Try using CheckAndSavePKey() with the TA_SYSTEM flag. For example:

Code: Select all
ta.CheckAndSavePKey(pkeyWin.txtPkey.text, TurboActivate.TA_SYSTEM);

If that doesn't work then we're going to need to remotely fix this problem on the customer's computer because there's not nearly enough information. Give us some times the customer is free.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby Flasher » October 15th, 2011, 11:23 pm

How difficult is it to fix the problem remotely? What does the task involve? Would it expose the workings of the licensing system if you walk him thru how to fix it remotely?

I am quite burnt out from all the tedious packaging of builds to try to work around this problem, and I don't know that I necessarily want to make the activation "system wide" on multi-user systems, which is what I think that flag does.

So I might like it if you did the remote fix and I could give you their email and the name of the program. But first I am curious as to the questions above. I wouldn't want the remote fix process to expose how to crack the system to the customer, as I am sort of suspicious of this customer to be honest. I know he legitimately purchased the key and his key is valid, but I do think there is a chance he could be looking to crack the program. If you want more details on why I'm suspicious, just say so, and I will figure out how to PM you.
Flasher

Postby Wyatt » October 15th, 2011, 11:42 pm

If you want more details on why I'm suspicious, just say so, and I will figure out how to PM you.

Sure, email me at wyatt@wyday.com.

How difficult is it to fix the problem remotely? What does the task involve? Would it expose the workings of the licensing system if you walk him thru how to fix it remotely?

Mostly it involves seeing where the process fails. If I were to guess it sounds like a user configuration error (bungled group policy editor, registry that has been "optimized" a.k.a. ruined, etc.). We don't expose any of our source code. We can get a lot of information just by watching the process (because we understand the internals of what has to happen).
Wyatt
Site Admin

Previous

Return to LimeLM, TurboActivate, & TurboFloat Support