bright, fresh software
Downloads  |  Buy

Static C libraries not in TurboActivate download

Static C libraries not in TurboActivate download

Postby MusicMan3001 » March 22nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Hello, apologies if I am missing something obvious, but I can't find the C static libraries in the TurboActivate zip file. Were these discontinued?
MusicMan3001

Re: Static C libraries not in TurboActivate download

Postby Wyatt » March 22nd, 2012, 1:42 pm

The static libraries are on the API page. We don't include them in the TurboActivate.zip file because they're so large (about 20 megabytes) and only a fraction of our customers use them.

Tell me if this helps.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby MusicMan3001 » March 22nd, 2012, 1:46 pm

Got it, thanks. I was looking at the "Using TurboActivate with C, C++, and Objective-C" page; it might be helpful to have a link to the static libs from there.
MusicMan3001

Postby MusicMan3001 » March 28th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Are there static libraries available for OS X?

I don't really care that much about using static libraries, but isn't it a minor security issue if an end-user can go into the application folder and see that there is a libTurboActivate.dylib or a TurboActivate.dll there? Then they instantly know what kind of copy protection I'm using for my app.
MusicMan3001

Postby Wyatt » March 29th, 2012, 12:15 am

Are there static libraries available for OS X?

Not yet, there hasn't been a demand for them. If you need them we can make them.

but isn't it a minor security issue if an end-user can go into the application folder and see that there is a libTurboActivate.dylib or a TurboActivate.dll there? Then they instantly know what kind of copy protection I'm using for my app.

If it exists on a computer it can be cracked. No copy protection can offer more than a few seconds protection when even the most mediocre cracker tries to break it.

The point of licensing isn't to stop crackers; that's an impossible goal (and missing the point). The point of licensing is to increase profits from casual piracy. That is, stop business and consumers from buying only 1license and using it over and over again. There is real money to be made by stopping casual piracy.

Does that make sense?
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby MusicMan3001 » March 29th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Sure, I know that a determined cracker will get what he wants.

But it just seems to me that naming the dynamic library something generic that's not easily trackable on Google, and something completely unrelated to licensing, like "Data.dll/.dylib", would be a very quick and easy way to add just a bit more protection.

If I Google "TurboActivate", your web site is the first result, and then I can download all your SDK code to investigate further -- which I assume would be helpful to any cracker.

Again, not a big deal, but just a suggestion to consider.
MusicMan3001

Postby Wyatt » March 29th, 2012, 7:22 pm

like "Data.dll/.dylib", would be a very quick and easy way to add just a bit more protection.

You can always rename TurboActivate.dll/dylib to anything you want.

We are planning to release Mac OS X static libraries, but we wanted to get some other things out first. But if you need it we can push it up the priority list.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby MusicMan3001 » March 31st, 2012, 6:03 pm

Really? When I try to just rename the .dll, I can't run my app ("The program can't start because TurboActivate.dll is missing...") But after some, Googling, it seems that I can use the "LIB" command on Windows. Is that what I need to do?

Similarly, just renaming the .dylib doesn't work either. How would I do this on Mac?

One more question - do the dynamic libs have any other dependencies? I.e., on Windows, does TurboActivate.dll require the MSVCRT dlls? I just want to make sure I can ship my program without the user needing to install anything else.
MusicMan3001

Postby Wyatt » March 31st, 2012, 6:45 pm

Really? When I try to just rename the .dll, I can't run my app

It's possible to rename the dll/dylib and use it with your app, but I didn't say it would be easy. :D

On Windows you have to link directly to the *.dll file (which I can't remember how to do off the top of my head, but I'm sure Google can help you out). That is, don't use the #pragma(comment, lib, "TurboActivate.lib").

On Mac OS X you might have to use some developer tools to change the "internal" name of the dylib so the correct file is loaded. You'll also have to changed the embedded rpath.

In short, it's probably more hassle than it's worth.

One more question - do the dynamic libs have any other dependencies? I.e., on Windows, does TurboActivate.dll require the MSVCRT dlls? I just want to make sure I can ship my program without the user needing to install anything else.

There are no external dependencies. See Requirements for TurboActivate.
Wyatt
Site Admin

Postby MusicMan3001 » September 16th, 2012, 12:50 pm

Hi there, just wondering if there was any progress on the OS X static libraries. Would really like to start using these if possible.
MusicMan3001

Next

Return to LimeLM, TurboActivate, & TurboFloat Support