bright, fresh software
Downloads  |  Buy

Auto Update -- limiting updates

Auto Update -- limiting updates

Postby zeeshan » February 10th, 2012, 1:57 am

Hello Support,

I am a licensed user of WyBuild. I started from version 3.0.0.0 for my application and now i am on 3.1.0.0 ( huge updates). Now a user who have version 3.0.0.0 can be updated to 3.1.0.0. I want to start this update from version 3.0.0.9 to onwards but i am unable to do that. Can i disable this new update for older version i want?

Actually i am stuck and need your help ASAP.

Thanks
Zeeshan
zeeshan

Re: Auto Update -- limiting updates

Postby Sam » February 10th, 2012, 3:04 am

I want to start this update from version 3.0.0.9 to onwards but i am unable to do that. Can i disable this new update for older version i want?

Are you asking how to limit updates to specific users? Or what exactly are you trying to do?
Sam

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2012, 6:33 am

Thanks for reply,

Yes you are right. I want a way to limit my latest update to only those users who have latest auto update installed.

Postby Sam » February 10th, 2012, 10:18 am

Well, if you're trying to prevent users from using the latest version (for instance, you want them to buy a new license) then see the How to prevent or limit updates article.

It almost sounds like what you're trying to do is not to limit your users from updating, but rather force them to update to v3.0.0.9 before they can update to any newer version. Is that what you're trying to do?
Sam

Postby Gilles » February 12th, 2012, 9:47 am

Hi,

I have a similar question about multi update, for example :

- my first released is 1.0.0.0
- i work on my app and released 1.1.0.0, 1.2.0.0, 1.3.0.0, 1.4.0.0, ....

How it's work for my different users who are not in v1.1 but perhaps in 1.2 or 1.3 ? The update is not the same and for me the updater does apply patch recursivly from current version to last version alone.

Thanks
Gilles
Gilles

Postby Sam » February 12th, 2012, 2:54 pm

How it's work for my different users who are not in v1.1 but perhaps in 1.2 or 1.3 ? The update is not the same and for me the updater does apply patch recursivly from current version to last version alone.

As it is now, wyBuild creates "direct patches" from the old version to the new version. So if your latest version is 1.4, and your user is using 1.1 then they will get the direct patch from 1.1 to 1.4. Simarly if your user is using 1.2 they'll get the direct patch from 1.2 to 1.4.

In wyBuild 2.7 we're adding "incremental patch" support. That is, you'll have the option of forcing the users to download and install all the incremental steps to get to the latest version. So if the user has 1.1 then you can force wyUpdate to download and install 1.2, 1.3, and finally 1.4.

Does this answer your question.
Sam

Postby Zeeshan » February 13th, 2012, 1:15 am

Thanks for the reply, Its great to have the ability the "incremental patch". I have WyBuild version 2.6.1.4.0 registered and installed. How can i upgrade it to 2.7 to enable "incremental patch" ability.

Please guide me.

Thanks,

Zeeshan
Zeeshan

Postby Sam » February 13th, 2012, 1:44 am

How can i upgrade it to 2.7 to enable "incremental patch" ability.

wyBuild 2.7 isn't out yet. When it's released it will be a free update.
Sam

Postby Gilles » February 13th, 2012, 3:32 am

Thanks for your answer ! But what is the difference between direct patch and incremental patch (only for the code).

If my different users get direct patch form his version to last version it's the same things of get the patchs of all version no ?

In example, direct patch from 1.1 to 1.4 is the same things then patch from 1.1->1.2->1.3->1.4

I would like order wyBuild component but i would like to be sure that i can use it for my business ;)

Thanks,
Gilles
Gilles

Postby Sam » February 13th, 2012, 3:54 am

Thanks for your answer ! But what is the difference between direct patch and incremental patch (only for the code).

Programming-wise? There's no difference between direct patch and incremental patch. Either way wyUpdate gets your app from [Old version] to [New version].

In example, direct patch from 1.1 to 1.4 is the same things then patch from 1.1->1.2->1.3->1.4

Yes, it's the same end-result.

Tell me if this helps.
Sam

Next

Return to wyBuild, wyUpdate, & AutomaticUpdater Support